My granny square blanket. Finished. Well, almost. I’ll explain in a minute. First I am just going to take a minute to look at the pictures of the blanket. I love it. And looking at the pictures only makes me love it more. It’s a bit silly. But there you go. And it would be terrible spending this much time on something and then not love it. Luckily, I do.
I didn’t have a master plan for the blanket. Except to use up as much of my scrap yarn as possible. Which I have. But that meant that I wasn’t 100% in control of the overall colour scheme. But that is ok. And I think that for a blanket like this, no colour scheme works well. A limited palette would work too, of course, but I think it should be very limited. Maybe next time!
Because I didn’t pay much attention to the bigger picture, I ended up with a lot of squares with no white in them at all and a few with some white in them. And there was a dominance of squares with either cool or warm colours and a few in-between-can’t-decide-what-I-am ones.. It took a bit of moving squares about on the floor to finally find a nice layout.
I ended up diving the squares into 4 piles, mostly warm colours, mostly cool, mostly warm + white and mostly cool + white. Starting at one end with the warm squares and strategically placing the cool + white ones. In the middle, the undecided squares and undecided + white. Then, you can probably guess, the cool ones and warm + white squares at the other end.
I wanted the squares to pop! But that doesn’t necessarily happen on its own. You need a popping system. Cool against warm, yellow with purple, orange with blue… you must deploy colour theory for maximum popping effect. I was going to join the squares together without the cream colour around each one, but I am glad I didn’t. I like how the cream colour frames each square and also helps to tie everything nicely together.
Now, I said that the blanket is almost finished. Well, to all intents and purposes, it is. However, I want to have a nice border but I haven’t got enough of the cream yarn! So I’ll have to wait ’til we go to Denmark again and I can stock up.
But for now, it is finished. And I am so happy with it. :-)
PS – look out for a joining method post later this week.